Saturday, March 29, 2014

A first attempt

So, like many people I am obsessed with this chevron pattern that has been popping up everywhere recently. I love it in all shapes and sizes! It's so fun and youthful! I attempted to created the pattern on a table top... here's how it went...

I bought this table at Goodwill (of course of half price Saturday). It only cost $6! What a steal! I started by sanding it down a bit, with my handy dandy hand sander (LOVE this thing!)



After dusting off, it was time to paint! I choose Saratoga Blue from Olde Centruy Milk Paint. I really love this color! I did 3 coats total over the period of an entire weekend. I really like the coats to be dry before I add another layer.

Like I said, this was my first attempt at creating the chevron so it was a bit rough! I used blue painters tape and measured the best I could. I am sure there is a brilliant way to do this... I will find one and let you know! After taping was complete, I choose a white as my accent color. I did 2 coats of the white.  Here are some pics of the process.




I let it dry for a bit, but not too long... I wanted to get that tape off and see how I did! Here's what it looked like! Not too shabby for my first time.... what you can't see (or maybe you can!) in this strategically far off picture is the undefined edges at some of the points. What you can see is a a decent chevron print.
Now if you know me at all, you know I can't leave anything alone for too long. So after letting my white dry overnight, I took the sander to my little table again! I also did some hand sanding and added a soft brown glaze. The final product turned out awesome! I can't believe it's the same table!



Happy painting friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment